Saturday, January 28, 2012

Winter Park!!

Ski vacation!
Dan and I went to Winter Park, Colorado this past week for our annual ski trip! We take a ski trip every year, and go to the resort that offers the best deal. It is a fun way to get to ski in different places.
I must admit, I missed Nathan, but at the same time, thoroughly enjoyed the time with just Dan.
We flew into Denver on Monday then rented a car and drove to Winter Park. We stayed at a lodge and the room was exceptional. It was a full kitchen, minus the oven, it had a living room with a fire place, a separate bedroom and bathroom, plus a balcony. It was wonderful to have so much space!
We skied for 3 days and we skied hard! Dan is an advanced skier (I'm sure that is a real shock to those of you who know him...ha, Mr. can do everything!) and I can hold my own. However, I am not a huge mogul skier, but Dan has been helping me become more proficient at them over the past few years.
All of that to say, we fried our legs! We skied really hard (lots of moguls) on the first day and I was exhausted when we were done for the day. I thought we were in decent shape going into our trip, but you forget how much quadricep muscle you use nonstop! It was a great day for skiing though, it snowed most of the morning so there was a fresh layer of powder...who could resist that !!
We went into town for dinner that night and then slept for 10 hours...without having to worry about the baby monitor going off...it was great!!
We felt rested and had a good 2nd day of skiing. Sadly, Dan had a pretty bad crash and really hurt his right shoulder and ribs. Of course, that did not stop him from skiing.
ON the 3rd day they opened up the lift that went to the bowl skiing. It was the first time this season that had opened it, so everyone was chomping at the bit to get up to the top. Here was a view from the top! It was beautiful to be above the tree lines and just see mountains, clouds and sky! I love marveling at God's beautiful and creative creation!
The bowl skiing was difficult. The powder was up to your waist in some areas and it was hard to control your ski's. It was steep and made me a little nervous, because people were flying down since everyone was excited it was finally open for the year.
My expert skier!
It was pretty cold while we were there and i loved it! I really wonder why I am living in Texas. I hate the heat and the fact that we never get a real winter. I loved just being outside while we were there and enjoying the cold and snow!
It was snowing when we woke up Tuesday morning! For those who do not know me well.... I LOVE the snow!
Ready to ski!
When we were packing for our trip, we found that my Scott goggles had melted, in the attic, this past summer. I guess that is not to hard to believe since we had record year for days over 100 degrees. I guess they were cheap plastic. Anyways, I needed new goggles. It is so funny how different Dan and I are. Wee both like to save and spend on completely different things! He wanted me to get a really good pair of goggles that would last me forever. I did not like the idea of spending that much for goggles when 1) I'm only going to use them once year and 2) Dan is a much better skier and he does not have expensive goggles, so why should I deserve them.
In he end, Dan won. I ended up with really nice Oakley goggles and i have to admit they are really nice. I could see so clearly, no fogging and they fit great.
This is a picture of me planking.
I am in a challenge with my running club to do a 60 second plank everyday this year. It may not sound that difficult, but just remembering to do it most days is the challenge! There have been a couple times where I have been in bed, halfway asleep and realized I had not done my plank, I had to get out of bed and do it. It is a fun challenge because it is something I can do. In years past some of hte challenges have been to far from my physical grasp (i.e adding a push up everyday so that you re doing 365 on the last day of the year and the same with sit ups!) Dan is doing the challenge with me which makes it fun!
We have a thread on facebook with our challenge group and people are always posting pictures of were they have done their plank. One girl had picture planking at a wedding in her bridesmaid dresses, some at airports etc. So that is why I am planking in my ski gear on the top of the lift!
I loved every minute of time with Dan! What a fun vacation with him!
About ot descend a very steep and long run! I was smiling before but not so much during the way down!
they had several fire pits around the resort, so we would walk around then warm up by a fire. This was the last night we were there and it was snowing buckets! they got 6 inch's in a few hours! We spent the evening sitting in chairs, outside under an awning, in front of the mountain, watching the snow cats groom the runs. It was so much fun, especially with all the snow falling around us.
I am very thankful to my mom for watching Nathan so we could enjoy some time away with each other! What a rejuvenating and fun vacation!

1 comment:

Callie said...

Looks like a really fun trip!